What should I do if I’m in a motor vehicle accident?
- Get yourself to safety.
- See if everyone is OK, and call an ambulance if anyone needs immediate medical attention.
- Call the police, especially if there are injuries. Do not admit any fault (to anyone) before calling a personal injury attorney.
- Take pictures to preserve the evidence as much as possible, including photographs of the vehicle damage and their positions following the accident, the scene, injuries, etc.
- Exchange information. The police will typically assist with this step, but the parties can begin the process.
- Seek medical attention.
- Call an experienced personal injury attorney to protect your rights. You may not feel like an attorney is necessary in the beginning, but you don’t know what the other parties will do or say, nor can you be sure that your insurance company will do what is required to protect you.
- Keep a file of all accident-related documents, receipts, etc. This will help to itemize all damages related to the accident, and give your lawyer a better foundation for your claim.