The days of hailing taxis have long since been replaced by rideshare apps like Uber or Lyft, which allow you to reserve a ride to virtually any destination at the press of a button. While rideshare apps may be extremely convenient, there are some safety concerns regarding this mode of transportation. If you are a rideshare user in California, there are 11 tips you should consider before scheduling your next ride.
- Let your friends know where you are by either sharing your location or letting them know what time you plan to arrive at your destination.
- Inform the driver the trip is being tracked through the app, and that you have people waiting for you at your destination.
- Sit in the back seat of the vehicle. In the event that a dangerous situation occurs, sitting in the backseat creates space between you and the driver. Doing this can also provide you with two possible exits.
- To reduce the risk of car accidents, make sure your rideshare driver is not driving distracted – either on their phone or not watching the road.
- Ensure the driver does not appear to be intoxicated before getting into the vehicle.
- Do not share any personal information with the driver.
- Wait for your rideshare vehicle in a safe, well-lit area, with friends, if possible.
- Use the rideshare app to verify both the driver and the vehicle’s license plate before you enter.
- Always make sure the driver knows who you are and what your name is before getting into the vehicle.
- If possible, do not ride alone, and bring a friend with you.
- Wear your seatbelt for the duration of the trip.
Putting your trust in a rideshare driver to get you to your destination safely is serious. Knowing these safety tips can be helpful if a dangerous situation occurs. However, if you are involved in an accident while in a rideshare, Shaun Phillips, personal injury lawyer, may be able to help you.
Can You Collect Damages if You Are in An Accident While in an Uber or Lyft?
Rideshare apps like Uber or Lyft offer a convenient option for individuals to travel to and from work, airports, or other destinations. However, while these platforms may be easily-accessible, taking a ride from a rideshare can still be risky – accidents can happen anywhere. If you were injured while in an Uber or Lyft, you may be eligible to pursue compensation for the injuries you suffered. The damages you may be eligible to recover are as follows:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Lost earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
If you are unsure what damages you may be eligible to collect, Shaun Phillips, a California-based personal injury lawyer, may be able to help by reviewing the specific details of your case.
Contact Shaun Phillips at Benchmark Injury Law TODAY
Shaun Phillips of Benchmark Injury Law has experience helping clients who have been injured in rideshare accidents in California. If you have suffered an injury while in an Uber or Lyft, Shaun Phillips may be able to help you get justice.
Benchmark Injury Law is a unique and value-based personal injury law firm with experience providing clients in California with legal assistance after they have been injured in rideshare accidents. Benchmark Injury Law is dedicated to building strong relationships with our clients so we may understand their unique needs as we provide them with the personalized representation they deserve.