A slip and fall accident on someone else’s property can change your life in an instant. The resulting injuries may be life-altering and result in long, expensive hospital stays and time away from work.
After a slip and fall accident, you may feel overwhelmed and not know where to turn. You may be wondering what you should do next. At Benchmark Injury Law, we can be a source of support through this difficult time. Our knowledgeable and resourceful team of Irvine personal injury lawyers and case managers will use their extensive resources to thoroughly investigate your claim and help ensure you receive the maximum compensation available for the losses you have endured.
If you’re wondering how much a slip and fall settlement is worth in California, you’ve come to the right place.
Slip and Fall in California: How Much Is my Case Worth?
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident in California, you may be wondering how you will pay your medical bills, how you will replace your lost wages, and if you have a case, and how much your case is worth. Of course, every case is unique, so it’s impossible to give an exact dollar amount that will apply across the board. Here are some basic guidelines that can help you determine what kind of settlement you may receive from your case.
As a general rule of thumb, if you have sustained severe injuries due to another person’s negligence or recklessness, the value of your case will likely be higher than if you suffered more minor injuries, such as bruises or cuts. A serious injury involves more medical care, which generates higher medical expenses, and takes significantly more time to recover from. A serious injury may be progressive, and may interfere with your work, family and social life. These are all compensable losses. Other factors which can influence the value of a slip and fall case include: whether you will require future medical care, whether you are able to return to your normal work responsibilities, whether there is video evidence, the degree of legal responsibility for the fall, and the cause of the fall.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall as a result of someone’s negligence, you may have the legal right to bring a claim against the negligent party for your losses, called damages.
Your Damages in a Slip and Fall Case
There may be a multitude of harms suffered as a result of a slip and fall case. So, what kinds of damages can you recover in a slip and fall case? Here are some of the common types of damages:
- Medical expenses: This includes bills for emergency room visits, doctors’ visits, physical therapy sessions, and prescription medication
- Lost wages: This includes if you missed work because of your injuries, or needed to take time off from work to recover from your injuries
- Pain and suffering and emotional distress: This is the monetary compensation for your physical pain and suffering resulting from your injuries. You may also be able to recover money for the emotional distress associated with the trauma from an injury, and the trauma from the effects of the injury on your normal life.
Other financial losses may include the following:
- Future medical care, which may include future surgeries, rehabilitation, future palliative care, etc.
- Loss of earning capacity in future years due to permanent injury or disability
- If a death results from a slip and fall, the decedent’s lawful heirs may be able to recover funeral and burial expenses.
A personal injury lawyer can help you determine the full scope of your damages, the reasonable value of these damages, and the likelihood of recovering your damages.
Contact Benchmark Injury Law Today for a Free Consultation
Benchmark Injury Law is a full service personal injury law firm based in Irvine, California, with experience successfully representing folks who have been injured in a variety of slip and fall incidents.
We pride ourselves on providing the highest level of client service, and to help you recover the compensation you deserve. Call (949) 504-9031 for a free consultation or fill out our contact form for a chance to speak with a skilled Irvine attorney.