Airbnb is an online marketplace that connects travelers with people offering homes, cabins, rooms and other accommodation opportunities. Founded in 2008, Airbnb’s cheaper, more private, and unique lodging options have quickly made it a top pick for tourists seeking homes in California, across the U.S., and worldwide. Although most people’s stays occur without incident, the reality is that accidents can and do happen.
If you or someone you care about has suffered an injury at an Airbnb, you may be entitled to compensation under California state law. At Benchmark Injury Law, we will conduct an independent investigation into your Airbnb accident. Our goal is to come up with a solid legal strategy so we can recover compensation for the harm you have suffered.
Were You Hurt in an Accident at a California Airbnb?
Injuries and accidents can happen in any rented room or home, but spaces rented with peer-to-peer services like Airbnb are especially vulnerable.
As a newer industry, these services are still in their growing stages, and the legal infrastructure has yet to be fully developed. As a result, personal injury claims that involve an Airbnb are often complex and evolving. These cases typically necessitate the help of an attorney who understands the particular nuances of these types of claims.
Some of the most common injury-inducing accidents that occur at Airbnb properties in California include:
- Broken bones
- Severe bruising
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Negligent Airbnb hosts can be held responsible for accidents at their residences caused by some of the following:
- Poor lighting: Insufficiently lit walkways can lead to slips, trips, and falls—a common cause of traumatic brain injuries in adults.
- Broken furniture: Damaged furniture, such as broken chair legs, could lead to injuries such as broken tailbones or spinal cord injuries.
- Damaged walkways or stairs: If a sidewalk is broken, a person’s foot could get caught in a crack and send them tumbling face-first into the ground. When stairs are damaged, it could cause renters to fall from dangerous heights, often leading to severe, sometimes fatal injuries.
- Ceiling collapses: What may just look like cracking, peeling, or discolored spots on a ceiling may later lead to substantial property damage, injuries, or even death if left untreated.
- Fires: An Airbnb host’s negligence could produce a fire hazard, and many Airbnb properties lack the legally required smoke detectors.
Many of these Airbnb claims fall under premises liability law, a subdivision of personal injury law. This area of law is based on the notion that property owners owe their guests a duty to keep them reasonably safe by eliminating or warning of hazards that could result in injury.
Contact a Trusted Personal Injury Lawyer About an Accident at a California Airbnb
After suffering an injury or losing someone you love in an accident at a California Airbnb, you may feel unsure of where to turn next. During this stressful time, a personal injury lawyer at Benchmark Injury Law can help.
The Benchmark Injury Law team of personal injury lawyers and case managers utilizes extensive resources to help victims of California Airbnb accidents by building strong cases, which can result in rightful compensation and effect change to protect future patrons of these Airbnbs. Our unique, value-based approach means we develop strong relationships and prioritize the needs of our clients, resulting in a high rate of success and client satisfaction.
Call our office at (949) 504-9031 or complete our contact form for a free review of your Airbnb personal injury accident.